Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Skulduggery

This is totally random, but I was watching the first Batman movie this past October, and I heard this quote from the Penguin:

"Now hear this, now hear this. This is your Captain speaking. My fine pinioned pirates, we're approaching the tricky buoy! Sharpen your cutlasses! There may be skulduggery ahead!"

I have a Dictionary app on my phone, so I looked up Skulduggery and the definition is:
Dishonorable proceedings; mean dishonesty or trickery: bribery, graft, and other such skulduggery.

Immediately this word started making cameos into my everyday conversations. Since it was around Halloween, it also felt fitting to say "Skulduggery or treat!"

Dialogue and the choice of words in movies seemed to be better back in the 40's, 50's and 60's. They utilized great words, it's mind-boggling to see how far we have moved away from it.

Okay, done with the random thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment